Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG 2012
It's been over a half-century since Mercedes-Benz unveiled its iconic 300SL Gullwing, and we just got a sneak peek at an AMG sports car we think might be bold enough to properly honor that landmark two-door. But don't expect the new SLS AMG to simply parrot the past; this curvaceous creation is the first vehicle designed and developed entirely by AMG (Mercedes-Benz's performance arm). As you might imagine, the SLS is just as high-tech as AMG's brawny, handbuilt powerplants.
The SLS AMG is available as a coupe or convertible soft-top. A naturally-aspirated 563-hp 6.2 liter V8 sends power to the rear wheels through an all-new rear-mounted AMG SPEEDSHIFT seven-speed automatic transaxle. Standard features include a sport-tuned suspension, 19-inch front/20-inch rear wheels, Bi-Xenon high-intensity headlights, sport seats with leather trim, dual-zone automatic climate control, Sirius satellite radio, Bluetooth wireless connectivity and aluminum interior trim. Standard safety features include electronic stability control with traction control, eight airbags - including knee airbags for driver and passenger, ignition disable, panic and security alarms. Options include carbon fiber interior trim, AMG carbon ceramic brakes, AMG performance suspension and AMG carbon fiber exterior mirrors.
- Wheelbase: 105.5 in (2680 mm)
- Length 182.6 in (4638 mm)
- Width 76.3 in (1939 mm)
- Height 49.7 in (1262 mm)
- Rims: 9.50 × 19 in (front), 11 × 20 in (rear), forged aluminium
- Tyres: 265/35 R 19 (front), 295/30 R 20 (rear)
- Kerb Weight: 3562.48 lb (1620 kg)
- Power-to-weight ratio: 348 bhp/tonne
- Weight-to-power ratio: 2.78 kg (6.1 lb)/ 1 PS (0.74 kW)
Engine & Performance
- Base engine size: 6.2 L
- Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
- Cylinders: V8
- Valves: 32
- Valve timing: Variable
- Torque: 479 ft-lbs. @ 4750 rpm
- Horsepower: 563 hp @ 6800 rpm
- Turning circle: 39.0 ft.
- Base engine type: gas
- Drive type: rear wheel drive
- Transmission: 7-speed automated manual
- Rear limited slip differential
- Double wishbone front suspension
- Double wishbone rear suspension
- Four-wheel independent suspension
- Front and rear stabilizer bar
- Fuel type: gas
- Fuel type: premium unleaded (required)
- Fuel tank capacity: 22.5 gal.
- Range in miles (cty/hwy): 315.0/450.0 mi.
- EPA mileage est. (cty/hwy): 14/20 mpg
- AMG Carbon Ceramic Braking System
- Red Painted Brake Calipers
- AMG Adaptive Suspension
- AMG Performance Suspension